Twitter has deprived me of free speech; its unfair and act of suppression


I am Donia Galvez, 30 years old, and I recently lost my Twitter account to inexplicable suspension. This is the first time I am writing an article despite not being a professional in the field. The only motivation behind writing this time was the belief that I should finally raise my voice against the injustice faced. I am sure I am not the only one in the world whose account has been suspended by Twitter without carrying out any misconduct. However, exactly how many of us are facing this issue, is beyond imagination. Social media platforms seem to be misusing their power. And in this article, I would like to point out how Twitter has been treating its users lately.

Basically, I am a professional researcher and have been using Twitter for years to collect and share information with likeminded people. I am quite disappointed with Twitter’s suspension of my account. I wasn’t notified about a misconduct or explained the reasons following which my account was suspended under ‘unforeseen circumstances’. In fact, I am absolutely cognizant about Twitter’s policies and have kept a close eye on its updates (if any) to avoid violating it in any manner, whatsoever. Therefore, I even tried reaching out to Twitter in order to get a clarification on the same and educate myself about the issue, but failed to receive any response.

It is surprising, how we use these kinds of social media platforms with utmost trust and they disvalue our contribution to the online community in the blind of an eye.

I have spent years on researching and building contacts on Twitter, by constantly sharing information that would interest my circle of friends, while they did the same for me in return. However, with this step taken by Twitter, my years of hard work just went down the drain. After receiving the news about my account’s suspension, I thoroughly researched why it happened to me and soon realized that I wasn’t the only one in trouble and with no explanation. There are several other accounts that were suspended in the process without being told the reason behind it. All I ask of you is to join me in my fight to reach out to Twitter and raise my voice against its hooliganism. Here are a few examples that will help you look at the issue more clearly:

                             


                             

                             

                             

                             

I need your support to regain my account. Your efforts in supporting me will be highly appreciated, because if we don’t do anything about it now and let Twitter have its way, then who knows the next target could even be you. This is the link to my profile – https://twitter.com/doniagalvez. We are the ones who have made Twitter what it is today and hence, it owes us an explanation on the unannounced suspension of our accounts.

On one hand, there are genuine users like you and I, who have been using Twitter as a platform to share information, thoughts and point of views. Even though we bore in mind the policies, our accounts were the ones to be suspended. Whereas, there are so many firms running fake campaigns on the same platform, sharing immoral and manipulative content. Moreover, there are several others who resort to abusive language on the social network, but their accounts have remained safe from any consequences. It is high time we demand an answer and a valid explanation from Twitter for its adventurism on the Internet.


                                  

                                  

                                  
                                  
                                                         
                                  

Comments